At today’s Public Works Council meeting, Governor Larry Hogan announced $ 600,000 in grants to help six historic preservation projects through the Historic Preservation Capital Grants Program. The program provides support to eligible entities for statewide capital preservation projects.
Non-profit organizations, local governments, businesses and individuals are eligible to receive grants for acquisition, restoration and, in some cases, pre-construction work. The historic trust received over 30 nominees for this fiscal year.
âThe Historic Heritage Preservation Grants Program is an essential tool to promote economic development focused on local historic resources,â Governor Hogan said. âThese Maryland sites, structures and heritage areas are cultural treasures that strengthen our communities and preserve our heritage for future generations.â
The following projects will receive a grant:
- Whitehall (Anne Arundel County) ($ 100,000)
- Recipient: Brandywine Foundations, Inc. (non-profit)
Whitehall is an outstanding example of a five-part Georgian country house, built in 1764-1765 and extended in 1769. Much of the interior woodwork is attributed to William Buckland and the plaster is documented as that of John Rawlings. The house was built for Governor of Maryland Horatio Sharpe and later owned by the Ridout family. The grant project will address areas of urgent deterioration of the roof, gutters and downspouts on the main part of the house.
- FW Fraley General Merchandise Store (Frederick County) ($ 100,000)
- Recipient: Catoctin Furnace Historical Society, Inc. (non-profit)
The FW Fraley general merchandise store originally operated as the Catoctin Iron Company store from the early 19th century until 1903. FW Fraley, Sr. was a clerk in the company store and when the oven closed in 1903 he moved the structure to the center of the village in 1906. After moving what is now the rear section of the store, Fraley built the new section at the front to expand the store in 1910. The store continued to function as a general merchandise store until 1974. The grant project will help complete a complete rehabilitation of the exterior of the building.
- Jerusalem Manor (Harford County) ($ 100,000)
- Recipient: Friends of Jerusalem Mill, Inc. (non-profit)
The Jerusalem Mansion was built in stages from the mid-1700s and later expanded by the Lee family, founders of Jerusalem Mill Village. The Mill Village is one of the oldest, most complete, and least modified mill villages in Maryland. From 1954 to 2018 the mansion was occupied by the Pullen family. Dr Phyllis Pullen was one of the region’s first female doctors and one of the last “country doctors”; his doctor’s office in the mansion is still intact today. The grant project will help repair thirty-eight deteriorated wooden windows in the main part of the mansion.
- Asbury United Methodist Church (formerly Easton Asbury ME Church) (Talbot County) ($ 100,000)
- Recipient: Historic Easton, Inc. (non-profit)
Asbury UM Church is Easton’s oldest African-American church structure and the second oldest African-American church structure in Talbot County. The church was consecrated by Frederick Douglass in 1878. Asbury was a temporary high school for black students in the 1930s and is now a community center for a historically African-American enclave known as Hill. The grant project includes structural stabilization and repairs to the base of the leaning steeple and steeple.
- Roland Park Water Tower (Baltimore City) ($ 100,000)
- Recipient: The Roland Park Community Foundation, Inc. (non-profit)
The Roland Park Water Tower was built in 1905 to serve as a drinking water supply station for surrounding communities. It was decommissioned in the 1930s. The octagonal Italian masonry structure was designed by the architect of the water company, William Fizone. Its construction is credited to John Stack and Sons, a builder responsible for the construction of many Victorian-era buildings in Baltimore City. The tower was built during the City Beautiful movement. The grant project will focus on repairing the towerâs extensive gutter and water retention system and repairing the masonry at the base of the tower.
- Whitehaven United Methodist Church (County Wicomico) ($ 100,000)
- Recipient: Whitehaven Heritage Association, Inc. (non-profit)
Whitehaven United Methodist Church was built in 1892. This vernacular church is particularly important for its interior woodwork, unique among churches in County Wicomico. The interior herringbone pine paneling was constructed by an anonymous craftsman, whose ease with wood suggests familiarity with boat building techniques. Although it is no longer used for the services of a congregation, it retains an influence on the traditions of the communities of the Lower East Coast. The grant project includes the rehabilitation of the roof, bell tower, exterior cladding, porch, foundations and other interior works.
According to a press release:
The Historic Preservation Capital Grants Program provides support for physical preservation projects as well as architectural, engineering, archaeological and consulting services required to develop a construction project. The acquisition of properties can also be financed. All properties receiving assistance must be listed or eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Organizations can request up to $ 100,000 per project.
Since its inception in 1978, the Historic Preservation Capital Grant program has helped hundreds of properties in every county and in the city of Baltimore. Nonprofits, local jurisdictions, business entities, and individuals are all eligible. Governor Hogan restored funding for this program in 2018; the first time that funding has been made available in almost a decade.
Online applications for FY22 Historical Preservation Capital Grant program funding will be available in early 2022 on MHT’s website at mht.maryland.gov/grants_capital.shtml. Registration deadlines and workshop dates will be announced later this year.
For more information on the Historic Preservation Grants Program, please contact Barbara Fisher at [email protected]
Previous Conduit Street Cover: June 16 Public Works Council meeting: What counties need to know